$57 Only on your 1st visit
including assessment and treatment
before 30th September
Fast Pain Relief For Back and Neck Pain
Ph: 03 8802 1518
Neck pain – understanding the Structures
The neck is comprised of 7 small vertebrae, called the cervical spine. Cervical discs are present in between each vertebra that works as shock absorbers and to facilitate movement. The cervical spine’s job is to support and control your head movements. The neck is highly flexible to allow the head to move in many different directions, which increases the chance of injury.
5 Common Causes of Neck Pain
- Injury: Falls, direct trauma, whiplash, overuse injuries (work/sport) are very common ways the neck can be injured.
- Posture: Due to using devices or computers for long periods of time, even poor sleeping positions. These factors can cause muscle imbalances which put extra strain on the neck, causing tightness and pain.
- Degeneration: Degenerative changes (wear and tear) can occur in the bones of the cervical spine due to previous traumas. This mainly affects older people. Most commonly shows as pain and stiffness in the morning, and tends to reduce throughout the day.
- Disc Herniation: The discs between each vertebra can herniate/bulge, due to abnormal stresses put on the joints throughout the neck. This can cause irritation to nerves causing local and possible radiating pain.
- Cervical Spinal Canal Stenosis: Mostly seen in older people, the spinal canal (carrying your spinal cord) can narrow and cause pain due to compression of nerve roots and the spinal cord.
How can chiropractic treatment help neck pain?
Chiropractic treatment is a non-surgical, natural treatment option to help decrease neck pain and increase neck function. Chiropractors can use many different techniques to help alleviate neck pain, depending on the symptoms and cause.
3 Common Techniques:
- Chiropractic adjustments – chiropractors assess and may find ‘subluxations’ within the cervical spine. This occurs when the joints of the vertebrae are not functioning correctly. Chiropractors use many different types of adjustments depending on patient preferences, to deliver a manipulation to the affected joint.
- Soft Tissue Techniques – Chiropractors use a wide range of effective massage techniques in order to help release tight muscles and trigger points that may be causing pain within the neck. Often neck muscles are overworked due to trauma or posture and may be tight.
- Rehabilitation – In order to help restore proper function within the neck, chiropractors can give stretches or exercises to further help their patients. Tight muscles may require stretching, and weak muscles that are not working properly may require exercise. This will ensure the underlying problems are addressed and that the patient can actively help reduce their pain.
Ringwood chiropractor – Daniel Pica
Our chiropractor – Dr. Daniel Pica is highly qualified health care professional.
We would love to work with you. Clinics open from Monday to Saturday.
Call us for an appointment now!